From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:24:02
1 >> I ran into an out of memory problem.  The first mention of it in the
2 >> kernel log is "mysqld invoked oom-killer".  I haven't run into this
3 >> before.  I do have a swap partition but I don't activate it based on
4 >> something I read previously that I later found out was wrong so I
5 >> suppose I should activate it.  Is fstab the way to do that?  I have a
6 >> commented line in there for swap.
7 ...
8 > If you're running any other servers that utilize MySQL like Apache or
9 > something, check its access logs to see if you had an abnormal number
10 > of connections. Bruteforce hacking or some kind of flooding/DOS attack
11 > might cause it to use more memory than it ordinarily would.
12
13 I don't know why I didn't check the apache2 error log before, but I
14 got the following entry 2 seconds before the server became
15 unresponsive:
16
17 [error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the
18 MaxClients setting
19
20 I use the default 256 for MaxClients. This confirms the server was
21 brought down by too many child processes consuming too much memory.
22 Looking back at the access_log, it's clear this condition was caused
23 by the single IP which requested one of my pages about 300 times over
24 the course of 1 minute. This caused my entire server to lock up for
25 hours until I rebooted it.
26
27 I hesitate to reduce MaxClients from 256. I think my server should be
28 able to handle it since it's the default. So I need to prevent my
29 apache2 child processes from consuming so much memory? apache2 was
30 restarted about an hour before the lockup so it had a pretty fresh
31 start. I do use mod_perl which is a memory hog from what I
32 understand. Do I just need more RAM?
33
34 - Grant