From: Alecks Gates <alecks.g@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [gnome3 stable] Not as bad as I expected
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 02:42:37
1 On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 7:10 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've been preparing for gnome3 for many months by running it in a
3 > virtualbox gentoo-guest machine. I missed a very important gnome3
4 > feature by doing it that way :(
5 >
6 > The gnome-shell desktop has a 'gestures-based' feature, which exposes
7 > the favorites menu if you move the mouse pointer *very* quickly to the
8 > left upper corner of the screen. Who knew?
9 >
10 > Well, I didn't know until yesterday because virtualbox allows the mouse
11 > pointer to slide right off of the guest window onto my real desktop
12 > without notifying the guest machine, apparently.
13 >
14 > Anyway, the active-left-upper-corner feature saves me one annoying extra
15 > mouse-click when launching the apps I use all day long. That one extra
16 > mouse-click was a major gnome3 "bug" for me, but now it's just a virtual
17 > bug :)
18
19 There's an even faster way -- something I couldn't live without and
20 possibly the only thing that makes Unity/Gnome3/Windows 8 usable to
21 me: Press the "super" key (the Windows key on my keyboard by default,
22 but it's configurable). I *hate* having to use my mouse so much to
23 access programs and in *all three* of these interfaces I can avoid the
24 mouse much more with the same shortcut. Check out the Gnome Shell
25 cheat sheet[0] if you haven't already.
28 > For us old gnome2 farts who don't know where to begin with gnome3, I'd
29 > suggest installing two gnome-shell extensions that may save you many
30 > hours of bewilderment:
31 >
32 > First, the "settings center" extension, which exposes several important
33 > sub-menus that are otherwise nearly impossible to find.
34 >
35 > Second, the "system-monitor" extension, which replaces the multiload
36 > gnome-panel applet that I can't live without. The gnome extension
37 > website offers several 'system-monitor' applets, but the one I'm now
38 > using is the one written by 'darkxst'. So happy :)
39 >
40 > I strongly suggest emerging the 'alacarte' and 'gnome-tweak-tool'
41 > packages from gnome-extra. They are not installed by default when
42 > emerging 'gnome', but I couldn't use gnome without them.
43 >
44 > Happy to answer any gnome3 questions if I can.
48 [0] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeShell/CheatSheet
51 Alecks Gates