From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is it safe to change the start of the first partition?
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:26:23
1 Helmut Jarausch writes:
2
3 > modern fdisk puts the first partition at block 63 while older version
4 > have put it at block 1.
5
6 No, it's older versions that use 63, while the new fdisk uses 2048. This
7 way the new 4K sectors of huge drives are aligned well. It does not
8 need to be 2048, as long as it's dividable by 8. But fdisk apparently does
9 not allow smaller values.
10
11 > Now, I'm going to upgrade an older system.
12 > Is it safe to repartition it by letting the first partition start 63
13 > and shortening the first partition by 62 blocks?
14 >
15 > (I will loose the first partition which doesn't matter in my case.)
16
17 I thought this would work, but I'm not sure now. But why do you want to
18 change the partition start anyway?
19
20 Wonko