From: Andrew MacKenzie <amackenz@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] PII Hangs while booting.
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:22:08
1 I've got an old PII Intergraph TD-225 PC that I'm trying to install Gentoo
2 onto. Bios is AMIBIOS. The system supports dual CPU but only has one.
3
4 It currently has WinXP running on it fine. But every Linux install/boot CD
5 I've run (Gentoo, CentOS, Knoppix, etc.) hangs while booting (2.4 and 2.6
6 kernels).
7
8 The last thing I see from the CentOS boot process is the following:
9
10 Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
11 SMP alternatives: switching to UP code
12 Freeing SMP alternatives: 14k freed
13 CPU0: Intel Pentium II (Klamath) stepping 03
16 Then it just hangs. CD can pop out and everything. Can anyone give me any
17 idea what's going wrong?
20 // Andrew MacKenzie | http://www.edespot.com
21 // GPG public key: http://www.edespot.com/~amackenz/public.key
22 // In man-machine symbiosis, it is man who must adjust: The machines
23 // can't.
24 // - Alan Perlis