From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 13:33:04
1 On Monday 25 December 2006 22:41, "Mike Myers" <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?':
3 > On 12/25/06, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
4 > > On Monday 25 December 2006 14:09, "Mike Myers" <fluffymikey@×××××.com>
5 > > wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] anti-portage wreckage?':
6 > > > Anyways, all I'm essentially asking for is a way to separate minor
7 > > > updates from major updates.
8 > > With some of the advanced atom operators (particularly '*' and '~'),
9 > > you should be able to specify exactly what level of masking you want.
10 > > You could also make your own profile that does "cap" packges at a
11 > > certain version and have it's parent be an established profile,
12 > > although I'm not sure that bit of portage hackery is supported.
13 > I know these things could be done, but I don't really think it's worth
14 > it. The problem is that these kinds of solutions don't scale very well..
15 > they don't really scale at all really. If I have to reinstall for
16 > whatever reason, then I have to redo all this hackery, as you put it,
17 > heh.
18
19 You can easily replicate the contents of a profile or /etc/portage across
20 multiple system with something like rsync; you should also have the
21 entirety of /etc backed up in case you need to reinstall -- it holds all
22 your services' configurations anyway.
23
24 > In any case, this is still a bit of a reactive approach, since I
25 > have to be aware that there may be a problem with a particular update
26 > before I know to mask it.
27
28 No, you can mask packages before they exist, so you can choose to be
29 reactive or active. For example, to prevent emerge -u from updating a
30 package add >category/package-version to package.mask, even if there's not
31 an upgrade waiting. Again, proper use of the package atoms should enable
32 you to only enable -rX upgrades (which are ebuild changes; not upstream)
33 or -rX and last version number upgrades (which should be ABI compatible if
34 upstream is sane) etc. etc.
35
36 It's certainly possible to build a system of scripts around emerge to do
37 all this masking for you, and the PYE (pick-your-emerge) script that is
38 (used to be?) popular on the forums could be a good starting point.
39
40 One thing that would make it a *lot* easier is if /var/lib/portage/world
41 supported the full atom syntax instead of just atom bases and doing
42 something like 'emerge "<category/mysql-5"' would add the atom from the
43 command line to the world file instead of the atom base. [Then, most of
44 the time, you wouldn't have to mask anything at all.]
45
46 > I really like the idea of the tree version
47 > thing though. I'll see if there's anything I can do to support that.
48
49 Yeah, I certainly would *mind* tree versioning. Although... I'm not quite
50 sure how it would mesh with the accepted ~ARCH keywording. I see how they
51 could work together, but they also seem to overlap uncomfortably.
54 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
55 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
56 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
57 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh