From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two wifi client interfaces and routing
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 16:40:15
1 On 3/31/22 10:17 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > I do know that the DHCP protocol supports adding additional options /
3 > definitions / parameters (?term?) to specify ... static routes.
4
5 In case others are interested in this, a few pointers about using it.
6
7 ISC's DHCP server has two options for advertising routes that clients
8 should install;
9
10 subnet ... netmask ... {
11 ...
12 option cidr-static-route ...;
13 ...
14 ms-static-route ...;
15 ...
16 }
17
18 Both *-static-route options use the same format and the format took a
19 little bit to wrap my head around. It consists of sets of <netmask
20 length>, followed by the <network bits>, followed by the router. E.g.
21
22 option cidr-static-route 10, 100, 64, 192, 0, 2, 123, 0, 192, 0, 2, 1;
23
24 That says:
25
26 - 100.64.0.0/10 is reachable via 192.0.2.123
27 - 0/0 is reachable via 192.0.2.1
28
29 ProTip: Go ahead and add the default gateway 0/0 route to the
30 *-static-route entries as some clients ignore the option routers entry
31 when *-static-route option is present.
32
33 I have multiple macOS, iOS, Windows 10, Linux, and other esoteric things
34 correctly using a route to a lab / sandbox subnet via a system that
35 isn't the LAN's default gateway.
36
37 Finally: This seems to be a well defined DHCP standard, but seemingly
38 not well known option by the various people that I've discussed this with.
43 Grant. . . .
44 unix || die