From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] setting locale
Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 18:25:21
1 Florian Philipp wrote:
2 >
3 > Sure thing. However, it is much faster to type `echo foo> bar` than
4 > writing "Open your favorite file editor and enter 'foo' into 'bar'."
5 > Being concise is often the better approach when you want to show a
6 > solution to the problem at hand instead of educating the reader.
7 >
8 > Everyone who is able to install Gentoo should be able to understand the
9 > shell line and use whatever approach he wants to achieve the same result
10 > and if he is satisfied with the given line, he has a copy-and-paste
11 > solution at hand (my colleagues call this "service to the reader").
12 >
13 > Regards,
14 > Florian Philipp
19 Yep, one could write to open a file with nano or vi. If the user knows
20 what he/she is doing, opening it with kwrite would work just as good,
21 unless the GUI is broken. I often get help from folks who say to edit a
22 file one way but I may do something with a different tool than they
23 use. Prime example being vi compared to nano. Does the same thing but
24 a different tool. It's a matter of preferences is all. I use nano but
25 if someone writes to use vi, I know how to change the command to work
26 with nano.
27
28 The biggest thing is, if a problem can't be solved on this list, it's a
29 BIG problem or a nifty new feature. lol
30
31 Dale
32