From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel panic -- finding proper config diff
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 23:31:46
1 On 10/21/2009 11:25 AM, Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > Did linux#make menuconfig followed by linux# make && make
5 > modules_install on the .2.6.30-gentoo-r7 sources. And copied over the
6 > new kernel and rebooted.
7 >
8 > The kernel panicked. The relevant messages are:
9 >
10 > <...>
11 > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly on device 8:1,
12 > Freeing unused kernel memory: 276k freed
13 > Warning: unable to open an initial console
14
15 That warning is interesting. This is from the kernel sources:
16 if (sys_open((const char __user *) "/dev/console", O_RDWR, 0) < 0)
17 printk(KERN_WARNING "Warning: unable to open an initial console.\n");
18
19 In the dark ages, before udev, /dev/console had to be created in the bare
20 /dev directory (i.e. before anything is mounted on /dev) to prevent this
21 sort of error. I thought it had been solved, but maybe I'm wrong about
22 that.
23
24 Of course, I'm not sure I don't get the same warning, but if I do it
25 flashes by so quickly I can't read it.
26
27 The message clearly states that / is mounted readonly, but that test for
28 /dev/console is asking for read/write. Maybe that's why the test fails,
29 dunno. And I don't know if that warning is important.
30
31 Nowadays udev uses a tmpfs in RAM to populate /dev with devices, but
32 at the point your kernel panics, that tmpfs doesn't exist yet, so you
33 are stuck with the /dev directory on / including its readonly status,
34 I'm assuming.
35
36 Anyone else know?