From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "王 鹏辉" <wangpenghui@××××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] mozilla consume a lot of X resource and made our company in difficult situation
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:39:45
1 Hello. This is the strange behavor happend recently in our company. We
2 use a centralized X-client computer and several dozens of X-terminals
3 for the clerks. Everything works fine untill we upgraded our intranet
4 web application.
5
6 the new web application is very slow on Mozilla (behavior described in
7 the attached message) but fast on Opera / IE. However the web
8 application have other problems with Opera, for IE because we use Linux
9 X-terminal, we cannot do it. These X-terminals takes 30 seconds to open
10 any page in the web application / any scrolling takes another 30
11 seconds, not acceptable at all!
12
13 It took us several days to discover the reason of slowdown. It's clear
14 1) when the page is slow, X uses much more CPU resource then mozilla. 2)
15 the speed is determined by the X-Server (X-terminal) CPU speed /rather
16 then/ the X-client (X-terminal server) speed. For example, if I connect
17 to X-client (X-terminal server) with my 2.5GHz desktop, the webpage is
18 not slow. Also, when the X-terminal busy 30 seconds for drawing web
19 application, there are lots of IDLE cpu resource on the X-client
20 (X-terminal server).
21
22 This really surpised me because I thought most reason affecting X speed
23 is the CPU time of X-client.
24
25 To solve this problem, perhaps I can choose from:
26
27 1) compile a special version of mozilla to not to use much X-server
28 resource (if mozilla has this compile option)
29 2) to pay for extra development on the web application so that it fully
30 works with Opera (very troublesome, going to cost a lot)
31 3) replace the current X-terminals with windows terminals so we could
32 run IE (this is a big money, also for licensing cost)
33 4) replace the current X-terminals with full CPU power workstations
34 (this costs even bigger money)
35
36 To me 1) is the cheapest way. Any suggestions help us out?
37
38 I also heard of someone talking VNC, could this technique help us?
39
40 -------- Original Message --------
41 Subject: firefox/mozilla extremely slow (comparing to IE and opera) for
42 my web application?
43 Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 15:39:17 +0800
44 From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
45 Newsgroups: netscape.public.mozilla.browser
46
47 Hello. Is it okay to ask question regarding to web authoring?
48
49 I have a web application that some users reported being extremely slow
50 on mozilla/firefox, and it seems the earlier versions of them are
51 slower. Take an example, with 1.2GMhz CPU it takes 8 seconds after user
52 clicked a selection list until the list pops up, but on IE & Opera this
53 happen in a flash. With an 2.4GMhz CPU it takes 3 or 4 seconds to pop up
54 any selection list. Scrolling is very slow too, as well as repaiting
55 (after switched to another application and switch back to the browser).
56
57 Javascript problem comes to my mind first, but even if javascript is
58 disabled, the speed is not getting any faster. The web interface is very
59 complicated to analyze, to put it simple, I can describe the main
60 characteristic of my web application:
61
62 The interface mainly consist of several layers fixed on certain
63 positions on the browser window (by using position:absolute), and a
64 scrollable layer behind them. E.g. several big DIV with position
65 absolute and z-index 10, and one big DIV with position absolute but
66 z-index:0 Besides this main difference, I don't see anything very
67 particular on my webpages.
68
69 A very-similar-in-concept webpage to my web application (but much
70 simpler) can be found here:
71 http://www.stunicholls.myby.co.uk/layouts/body2.html
72
73 Could this be the reason of being slow? Is this going to be enhanced in
74 the next release of gecko/firefox/mozilla?
75
76 If anyone is interested in help me dig out the reason (and may help
77 improve mozilla as well), I am happy to give you access to my web
78 application used in my company.
79 --
80 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list