From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] How to determine if a NIC is playing gigabit?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 11:51:45
1 Hi there,
2
3 Yesterday I reseated the network cable between my server cupboard and
4 my desk, and it now lights up on the switch by my desk as gigabit. But
5 a file-transfer today is slower than I might have hoped.
6
7 I'm not ruling out the cable, because it's pretty beat up (but the
8 switch *is* lighting up as 1000), but how do I determine, please, that
9 the Linux server at the other end is recognising the NIC and
10 negotiating as gigabit speeds?
11
12 The hard-drives on the server are using an older PCI SATA card, and
13 the NIC is also PCI. But I would have expected it to be a bit faster
14 than 100Mbps.
15
16 Any estimates over what kind of speed I should be seeing for large
17 file-transfers over Samba? Wildly ball-park is fine - I wouldn't
18 expect a 10x speed increase, but maybe 2x or 3x - 4x would be great!
19
20 I'll be testing between my Macs (both on the desktop switch, ruling
21 out both the Linux box and the suspicious cable) later today, I'd just
22 like some ideas of where I should be starting from.
23
24 Right now I'm seeing 10 gigs of .mp4 files (1gb - 2gb per video file)
25 taking about an hour - that's about what I'd expect from old 100Mbps
26 networking, not this shiny new stuff.
27
28 I'm not seeing any difference commenting & uncommenting "aio read size
29 = 1, aio write size = 1" (separate lines) from /etc/samba/smb.conf and
30 then running `/etc/init.d/samba reload`, but maybe I shouldn't expect
31 that to make any difference on an existing transfer. I just don't want
32 to interfere with this right now - I just want to copy as much as
33 possible on to my laptop before I go out, and I'll take a look at this
34 performance issue when I get home.
35
36 Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers,
37
38 Stroller.