From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Two identical systems - different!
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 19:35:20
1 On Sunday 02 Mar 2014 18:14:04 yac wrote:
2 > On Sun, 02 Mar 2014 14:59:49 +0000
3 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > On Sunday 02 Mar 2014 12:21:24 yac wrote:
5
6 --->8
7
8 > > > Please provide the whole output. There should be an explanation why
9 > > > there is the conflict.
10
11 --->8
12
13 > > I ran three commands:
14 > > 1. emerge -epvK world > emerge.with-K
15 > > 2. emerge -epvk world > emerge.with-k
16 > > 3. emerge -epv world > emerge.no-Kk
17 > >
18 > > Those three files are attached. (I pasted the STDERR text into the
19 > > first one because I couldn't remember the bashism for redirecting
20 > > both output streams to a single file.)
21 > > The slot conflict occurred in case 1. It did not occur in cases 2 and
22 > > 3, but the package list was ordered differently.
23 >
24 > -K makes portage to use *only* pre-compiled binary packages, so I guess
25 > there's the problem.
26
27 Yes, and that's why I used it - portage is supposed to abort if no suitable
28 package exists. I don't believe that's reliable either; I have some evidence
29 that it sometimes carries on silently, ignoring the missing package. In any
30 case, it shouldn't fail to find an actually present package, namely app-
31 arch/bzip2-1.0.6-r3. And the only USE flags used by that package are "static"
32 and "static-libs", neither of which is set.
33
34 > As you say you are not getting conflicting on later commands, the issue
35 > is fixed for you, right?
36
37 No, I said the conflict occurs if I pass -K to portage, but not if I pass -k or
38 don't pass either. It's repeatable. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
39
40 --->8
41
42 > > > What is the reason you run with backtrack=100 ?
43 >
44 > Actually it seems you are not setting anything as portage doesn't read
45 > the OPTIONS variable [1]_.
46 >
47 > .. [1]
48 > http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj%2Fportage.git&a=search&h=HEAD
49 > &st=grep&s=OPTIONS
50
51 I don't follow. What is that page telling me? Besides, I don't believe that
52 portage ignores OPTIONS passed to it, as it has accepted them many times
53 before now.
56 Regards
57 Peter