To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Emerging virtual/editor installs nano - why?
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 15:40:40
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 07 December 2007 10:49:42 Alexander Skwar wrote:
4 >> I installed stage-3 2007.0 and am now trying to configure
5 >> it to my liking. For example, I dislike nano and would like
6 >> to use vim instead. vim (among other editors) provides
7 >> virtual/editor. So I thought, that I could add
8 >>
9 >> virtual/editor app-editors/vim
10 >>
11 >> to /etc/portage/profile/virtuals. BUT:
12 > [SNIP]
13 >> So, what am I doing wrong with regards to virtual/editor? I know
14 >> that I could just install app-editors/vim and be done, but I'd
15 >> like to know why emerge virtual/editor doesn't work the way I expect
16 >> it to work (or why my expectation is wrong).
17 >
18 > profile/virtuals is for old style virtuals only. editor was converted to a
19 > new style virtual. New style virtuals are just ebuilds was an any-of
20 > runtime dependency on all providers. On initial install portage will
21 > choose the first visible provider that's listed in the ebuild. So either
22 > put it in an overlay or just install the provider you want and let that
23 > satisfy it...
24
25 Thx. Understood as well.
26
27 So the expectation should be, that it's not going to be possible
28 to preselect an mta the way I've shown, as soon as virtual/mta
29 is converted to a new style virtual.
30
31 Is that right? Is there work going on to change all the old
32 style virtuals to new style ones?
33
34 I don't know, but from a user perspective, these new style virtuals
35 offer less flexibility. I've read the GLEP, but don't quite understand
36 why something with lesser flexibility has been introduced. I understood,
37 that old style virtuals might have had some performance problems for
38 portage.
39
40 Well. I guess there's nothing that can be done about it.
41
42 Thanks,
43
44 Alexander