From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo healthy?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 07:19:31
1 On Thursday 21 December 2006 23:28, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
4 > But he can't: the ebuild is gone. That is the case we're trying to
5 > solve here: he has emerged a newer version of a package, finds it
6 > doesn't work correctly, wants to go back to the previous version,
7 > but seess that that version is gone. How to get it back? One way
8 > is to get it from viewcvs on the net. Another way is to keep a copy
9 > of all the ebuilds yourself. It's a big waste of space, but it is
10 > simple, no searching on the web required.
11 >
12 > The best way, of course, is to use the binary package thing. Mark:
13 > add EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="-b" to your /etc/make.conf. This will
14 > tell emerge to also build a binary package for every package that
15 > you emerge. Whenever you find that an upgrade of some package was
16 > unfortunate, do an 'emerge -K =package-x.y.z' with the exact
17 > version number you want to restore, and done. No manual tarring
18 > and untarring required, emerge does it all.
19
20 I can't believe you are advocating either of those solutions. It means
21 you retain 500M worth of tgz'ed portage tree for just in case an ebuild
22 leaves the tree. Any custom changes you make to the tree are wiped out
23 with the next --sync anyway, so now the user has to remember which ones
24 were updated and remember to put them all back.
25
26 A bin package is equally cumbersome. You will very quickly consume huge
27 amounts of disk space - at least equal to all the current packages on
28 the system plus old ones that were updated. With an average notebook
29 40G drive, that's 40% of your disk space gone right there. And the user
30 still has to remember which packages are the customized ones.
31
32 Trust me, the portage devs have already figured all this out and
33 overlays are exactly the solution for this. The user already has to be
34 online to have updated, so all he needs do is get the desired ebuild
35 from cvs, copy it to /usr/local/portage, block updates to that package
36 using package.mask and then GO AWAY AND FORGET ALL ABOUT IT. No more
37 maintenance, no monthly tars, no vast amounts of disk space consumed.
38 it all just works.
39
40 Tell me, have you ever actually used overlays?
41
42 alan
45 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list