From: Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 09:08:46
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > Isn't it strange that those people seem to have less problems with closed
4 > > source than with a license that gives more freedom than the GPL? But
5 > > you are correct that the problem seem to be humans and not a license text.
6 >
7 > You are aware that the GPL was not really intended to be used together
8 > with other licenses? It was really intended to create an entire
9 > operating system, all of which was 100% licensed as GPL, all of which
10 > comprise an original work written from scratch
11
12 But it has been proven that you cannot create a 100% GPL OS.
13 More than 50% of all Linux distros are under different licenses...
14
15 > Stallman never makes this claim as bluntly as I've said it here, but
16 > it's the only intelligent reading of his intent as far as I can make
17 > out. This is why so many arguments arise over the GPL, the wording of
18 > that license was not really intended to have it co-exist with other
19 > licenses.
20
21 Stallman does not look at reality. The first GCC version in 1986 has been
22 published under something I call GPLv0 and this license did not permit a legal
23 use of the GCC in public.
24
25 The license was later converted to GPLv1 by using proposals I made but
26 Stallman still only talks about what has been in GPLv0.
27
28 > > There is nothing non-void in the GPL that stops you from distributing binaries.
29 >
30 > That's a question of packaging and bundling, which is not covered by the
31 > GPL. But kernel code and kernel modules are not mere bundles, they are
32 > derivative works by virtue of how tightly they integrate with the
33 > kernel, and how the code can only ever run unchanged on Linux.
34
35 If a kernel uses ZFS, you have to decide on whether the kernel is a derivative
36 work of ZFS or whether just a collective work exists.
37
38 _Using_ ZFS definitely does not make ZFS a derivative work.
39
40 Jörg
43 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin
44 js@××××××××××××.de (uni)