From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HOWTO: Freezing/unfreezing (groups of) processes
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 16:23:31
1 On Fri, 5 Feb 2021 14:07:39 -0500, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > > man killall
4 >
5 > My reading of the "killall" man page is that it works on command
6 > names. For my script, "pstop palemoon" stops all instances of Pale
7 > Moon. But my script greps the entire line, so "pstop slashdot" will
8 > stop the process...
9 >
10 > /home/waltdnes/pm/palemoon/palemoon -new-instance -p slasdot
11 >
12 > Does "killall" have that ability to stop a process based on any
13 > parameters in the command line?
14
15 No, but you could look at using pgrep to avoid some of the awkery.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Velilind's Laws of Experimentation:
22 1. If reproducibility may be a problem, conduct the test only once.
23 2. If a straight line fit is required, obtain only two data points.