From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 11:24:50
1 On 2022-02-26 05:07-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
4 > > Hello list,
5 > >
6 > > I'm a sort-of newbie gentoo user and I just wanted to ask if
7 > > what I'm thinking is possible or if I'm just being stupid. But
8 > > either way, I was wondering if it is possible to export a list of
9 > > all installed software in emerge and use that to recreate on
10 > > another gentoo install.
11 > >
12 > > I have a bunch of PCs that are all similarly specced and I
13 > > wanted to create a minimal install "template" for all of them. If
14 > > not, would it be possible to pipe-in to emerge from stdin an output
15 > > of all of the package names that I wanted it to emerge?
16 > >
17 > > I'm really sorry if this might be a stupid question. I'd
18 > > appreciate any guidance in the matter.
19 > >
20 > > Cheers!
24 > There is a file that contains all the packages you have installed.  It
25 > is located here:
26 >
27 > /var/lib/portage/world
28 >
29 > One could copy that file to another system and do a emerge @world to
30 > install the same list of packages.  Depending on what all you have
31 > installed, it could confuse emerge and not be doable.  In the past, I
32 > had a copy of the file and I emerged them a few at a time.  It's worth
33 > trying by just coping the file tho.  It just might work.
34
35 It is safer to copy the world file to /etc/portage/sets/¹ and then
36 emerge the set. This way portage won't think that the packages are
37 already installed. So you could copy it to
38 /etc/portage/sets/minimal-install and install it with emerge -a
39 @minimal-install.
40
41 Kind regards, tastytea
42