From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 21:39:53
1 On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:20:45 -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:
2
3 > > From: Neil Bothwick [mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk]
4 >
5 > > Yes it is, I now I used to waste my time like that. Now I have a
6 > > config
7 > file that
8 > > lists what needs to go into the initramfs and the kernel build
9 > automatically
10 > > pulls everything in for me. The only other thing I need is the init
11 > script. So I
12 > > get the benefit of hand crafting everything with the ease of automated
13 > > building.
14 >
15 > Are you saying your kernel build automatically rebuilds your initramfs
16 > for you?
17
18 Yes. The image is built into the kernel file so there are no extra files
19 or grub lines to manage. It also means that even if I screw up the
20 initramfs on a new kernel, the old one will still work exactly as before.
21
22 See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt
26 Neil Bothwick
27
28 Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.