From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] AppImage? What's that?
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 15:17:24
1 On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 6:46 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 05/11/2017 15:48, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 >>
4 >> unpacking is not implemented yet.
7 > Reading only this thread, it looks like an upstream used a horribly
8 > incomplete scheme for distribution that isn't even ready for launch.
9 >
10 > And yet they distribute using it.
13 Nah, they just don't consider extracting the stuff without running it
14 important. Nor apparently do they consider it important to support
15 the 0.1% of Linux users on a distro that doesn't support appimage
16 (just a rough estimate based by all the logos on their webpage - I
17 can't vouch for how well it works on the distros they list).
18
19 The concept behind it isn't terrible, but if you want to use it your
20 first step is to get it packaged/working on Gentoo. I don't see any
21 reason that this couldn't be done - it just probably doesn't scratch
22 many Gentoo user's itches.
25 Rich