From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Strange behaviour of google certificates.
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 07:52:57
1 On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 08:19:45PM +0300, Gevisz wrote
2
3 > So, I am using Claws Mail that downloads e-mails from several
4 > google mail accounts (all are mine :) and about once or twice
5 > in a month get into the situation when Claws asks me to verify
6 > and change the google certificates, first in one direction and
7 > soon after that (usually during the next downloading of my e-mails)
8 > - in another.
9 >
10 > The situation is illustrated by the 2 message screenshots that are
11 > attached to this e-mail.
12 >
13 > The strange thing for me is that, first, the Claws asks me to verify
14 > and accept a newer certificate complaing that the old one is in some
15 > aspect "bad", and soon after that it complains about a newer
16 > certificate and asks me to verify and and accept the older one.
17 >
18 > I suspect that it is google that makes something wrong here.
19 >
20 > What do you think?
21
22 The same question came up on the local linux user group here in
23 Toronto. Apparently "pop.gnail.com" is actually 2 servers...
24
25 [d531][waltdnes][~] nslookup pop.gmail.com
26 Server: 206.248.154.170
27 Address: 206.248.154.170#53
28
29 Non-authoritative answer:
30 pop.gmail.com canonical name = gmail-pop.l.google.com.
31 Name: gmail-pop.l.google.com
32 Address: 173.194.192.108
33 Name: gmail-pop.l.google.com
34 Address: 173.194.192.109
35
36 The 2 servers probably have different certificates, which is why you
37 get this behaviour. I suggest going into "apk mode" and putting an
38 entry into your hosts file <G>, like...
39
40 173.194.192.108 pop.gmail.com
41
42 This will force your system to always use the same server, and avoid
43 the re-validation every time you hit the other server from the one you
44 used the previous time.
47 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
48 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications