From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] cpu flags / USE flags / compiler flags
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:11:55
1 Hi,
2 I've just recently (the last 4 or 5 days) been experiencing some
3 lock-ups on Firefox. As far as I can tell these seem to come only when
4 visiting certain web pages that have more multimedia content. When
5 Firefox locks up it can be killed from a terminal and restarted. There
6 are no messages in dmesg or /var/log/messages.
7
8 In reviewing changes recently made I noted that the newest thing,
9 for me, was changing some USE flags. What I thought I was doing was
10 better matching the processor in each machine but possibly this is
11 causing the problem.
12
13 On my laptop, a P4 / ATI machine, I went about it like this:
14
15 flash ~ # cat /proc/cpuinfo
16 processor : 0
17 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
18 cpu family : 15
19 model : 2
20 model name : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
21 stepping : 9
22 cpu MHz : 3067.965
23 cache size : 512 KB
24 fdiv_bug : no
25 hlt_bug : no
26 f00f_bug : no
27 coma_bug : no
28 fpu : yes
29 fpu_exception : yes
30 cpuid level : 2
31 wp : yes
32 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
33 mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe cid
34 xtpr
35 bogomips : 6078.46
36
37 flash ~ #
38
39 I then looked for CPU flags that had an equivalent USE flag and that
40 might be of use for faster graphics. On this machine I chose mmx, sse
41 & sse2. Armed with that I changed my make.conf file to look like this:
42
43 # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that
44 automatically built this stage
45 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
46 CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
47 USE="mmx sse sse2 gnome kde -arts ladspa nptl nptlonly ladcca
48 audiofile gimp gimpprint ppds usb alsa cdr dvd dvdr dvdread caps jack
49 jack-tmpfs fluidsynth tcltk sndfile v4l v4l2 mysql flac xscreensaver
50 samba i8x0 mythtv apache2 lirc mjpeg xvid real"
51 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
52 MAKEOPTS="-j2"
53 GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.tucdemonic.org/gentoo/
54 ftp://ftp.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo http://mirror.gentoo.gr.jp
55 http://www.zentek-international.com/mirrors/gentoo/"
56 ALSA_CARDS="atiixp"
57 VIDEO_CARDS="radeon"
58 PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
59
60 I should note that I only remember adding sse2. mmx and sse where
61 there before and I had no problems.
62
63 QUESTION 1: Is this the right way to go about doing this sort of
64 thing? Or are the CPU flags supposed to become part of the CFLAGS line
65 also?
66
67 QUESTION 2: Are there any known problems with sse2 support? I think
68 I've added this on 3 machines and all 3 machines have experienced at
69 least one, if not more, lockups.
70
71 Certainly I can just remove the sse2 flag and recompile but I thought
72 I'd ask first.
73
74 Thanks,
75 Mark