From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage GUI interfaces...
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:06:52
1 On Thursday 25 February 2010 05:14:06 ubiquitous1980 wrote:
2 > BRM wrote:
3 > > I am interested in finding a GUI interface for working with portage,
4 > > preferably for KDE4. Namely b/c I am getting a little tired of having
5 > > konsole windows open and not being able to keep track of where I am in
6 > > the emerge update process - something a GUI _ought_ to be able to
7 > > resolve.
8 > >
9 > > In googling, I noticed Kuroo, but it's no longer maintained (nearly 2
10 > > years out of date now, so it would have to have been KDE3) so it's been
11 > > understandably removed from mainline portage - though I also noticed
12 > > information on a Kuroo overlay.
13 > >
14 > > And I also came across Porthole; however, all versions are marked
15 > > Unstable/Testing (~) at the moment.
16 > >
17 > > Can anyone give some advice on these or others?
20 > > Ben
21 >
22 > In the case that there is not a GUI tool, why not run as root # tail -f
23 > /var/log/emerge.log
24 >
25 > It tells you what is being installed at present
26 >
27 > Another, to see what you are downloading is # tail -f
28 > /var/log/emerge-fetch.log
31 Set the terminal up so that it displays the running command in the titlebar.
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com