From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up; bash now uses "readline" USE flag
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 07:43:54
1 On Sat, 8 Sep 2012 23:42:45 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > > Isn't readline enabled by default on all reasonable profiles? Do
4 > > you have USE="-* in make.conf? If so, it's just bitten you.
5 >
6 > Yup. I did that to avoid further surprises after the developers "in
7 > their infinite wisdom" had IPV6 "enabled by default on all reasonable
8 > profiles". Watching Firefox and mplayer spinning their wheels for 45
9 > seconds at a time till IPV6 lookups timed out was not fun.
10
11 I'd rather have that that an unusable shell. As was noted elsewhere this
12 weekend, even if a USE flag is set but renamed, -* screws it up.
13
14 BTW that delay was typically caused by buggy/obsolete router firmware
15 failing to handled IPv6 requests, but should not be an issue on a fully
16 non-IPv6 system as it needs a kernel with IPv6 enabled to make any
17 difference. Still, it was not a good move, but I don't agree that risking
18 further breakage is the best response to one less than optimal decision
19 by the devs.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 I typed Format SER: and accidentally killed a telephone operator!