From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: WAS [.. min install isos] gentoo vm guest not booting
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 16:11:29
1 On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:16 AM, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> I'm very curious - did you happen to try appending something like
5 >>
6 >> init=/sbin/init 1
7 >>
8 >> to the boot kernel command and seeing what happens? That might be
9 >> instructive about where it's really getting to or what is stopping it
10 >> from proceeding.
11 >
12 > Mark, I rm'ed all of it and created a new vm again.   did all the
13 > steps with /dev and the rest of  normal install.
14 >
15 > This time around the vm cannot find any media to boot from although I
16 > created boot and all that with grub etc.
17 >
18 > I even added the `init 1' line you suggested... but since the media is
19 > not found when I try to boot into the vm... of course it does nothing.
20 >
21 > So, enough time wasted.. I'm sorry to cave on you when you asked for a
22 > result of the init 1 parameter....
25 No apologies necessary.
26
27 > I don't have any idea where to look for the problem of not finding the
28 > media but probably some kind of pilot error.
29 >
30 > I need to get some work done with a vm so going with debian.
31 >
32 > Its working now... tarsnap server is ready to be setup for tarsnap.
33 > Done it about 1/2 hour.
34 >
35 > I really appreciate your kind patience.. and have kept the thread for
36 > next time I get the urge to create a gentoo vm.  Very good input and
37 > it does not go to waste since I seem to end up trying a gentoo vm
38 > guest every few mnths.
39 >
40 > Thanks to Neil as well.  Always appreciate the sharp eyed comments.
43 As a follow-up to your problems, and because I'm just plain interested
44 in this /dev/null,console question, I decided to create a completely
45 new Gentoo VM myself from scratch this morning. I'm going FAR more
46 slowly than usual as, like you, I need to get other things done. Also
47 that I'd like to understand what the tarball does actually provide,
48 and also when everything in /dev really comes together correctly. (If
49 indeed it does come together correctly.)
50
51 I'll post back how it's going. My first observation is that the stage3
52 tarball only provides /dev/null as a normal file and nothing else. I
53 would guess that this is incorrect as I would think that if the normal
54 file is there then the special file won't get created later. I've
55 never studied how the /dev directory gets created so this will be a
56 learning experience for me.
57
58 As for having to get some work done, I completely understand. Just
59 don't give up on us here in Gentoo land, be we real OR virtual...
60
61 Cheers,
62 Mark