From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [perhaps OT] ssh from Gentoo into a RedHat server
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 12:44:53
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 31 May 2007 11:42:48 +0100 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5
6 > > > Second, my id_dsa is my private key not my public key. My public
7 > > > key is id_dsa.pub
8 > >
9 > > but you will need your private key to be authenticated. that's why
10 > > it is *private*.
11 >
12 > That's right, so why does it:
13 > ======================================
14 > debug1: Trying private key: /home/michael/.ssh/id_rsa <--this doesn't exist
15 > debug1: Offering public key: /home/michael/.ssh/id_dsa <--this is my private key
16 > ======================================
17
18 What is wrong with that? It just says it is trying to access id_rsa,
19 not that there is one. So it fails, of course. So not existing key
20 isn't a matter here. It's _debugging_ output, so not necessarily
21 important information.
22
23 Using the private key is absolutely normal. A test message is encrypted
24 using it and is then being sent to the server, hence the term "offering".
25
26 I don't see what you are wondering about here.
27
28 > > > PS. Not sure if this is relevant but although my user name on the
29 > > > server is mick, for reasons better known to him the sysadmin has
30 > > > created my home directory as /home/mic - could it be that sshd is
31 > > > looking for /home/mick?
32 > >
33 > > that messages isn't from the server, is from client running
34 > > locally. but it doesnt matter for what you want.
35 >
36 > It matters if the server is trying to find id_dsa.pub in a
37 > non-existing directory.
38
39 But it _is_ a client message. It doesn't tell you where the server is
40 searching. So yes, the server might be off track and searching in the
41 wrong place. You could tell by monitoring the server's logs.
42
43 sshd will always search in the home directory as specified
44 in /etc/passwd (in the normal case) or more sophisticated solutions
45 like LDAP or NSS. So make sure it really *is* configured as the home
46 directory.
47
48 If the target server is ancient, it might also be searching in
49 ".ssh/authorized_keys2". Maybe DSA auth is disabled. Why don't you
50 check server side logs (or let your sysadmin do that)?
51
52 -hwh
53 --
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list