From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:48:54
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Sebastian Beßler wrote:
4 >>> On 27.03.2012 20:30, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> May be trying Kubuntu here pretty soon.
6 >>>
7 >>> Be prepared for hard times using Kubuntu as it is now no major part of
8 >>> the Ubuntu family anymore. That means much less money and much less
9 >>> manpower. And if this issue with a init-thingy bothers you, Kubuntu will
10 >>> be living hell. As long as (K)Ubuntu works everything is fine, but in
11 >>> case of an error you just can't fix it. Everything is close tight to
12 >>> everything else. Change on thing and all fails.
13 >>>
14 >>> Greetings
15 >>>
16 >>> Sebastian
17 >>>
20 >> Well, based on my experience with Mandrake back in the day, the init
21 >> thingy is going to break for me here just like it did there. I'm
22 >> thinking about Kubuntu but I may actually decide on something else.
23 >> Thing is, it appears Gentoo is going to break my system so I may as well
24 >> find something that I can install lots quicker to fix what is broke.
25 >> Kubuntu is just one option. I installed it for my brother and it works
26 >> fine, SO FAR.
27 >>
28 >> I may be jumping out of the frying pan into a fire but I think I need to
29 >> at least try something else. This is very true if I continue to have
30 >> issues with the init thingy and not being able to su to root. I know
31 >> how to use a console but I only use it when needed. That's not very
32 >> often and I sort of like it that way.
33 >>
34 >> Barring that, I could just put everything on / and just hope nothing
35 >> goes bonkers and fills it up with useless errors or something in the
36 >> messages file. I have had this happen before and /var was full, I mean
37 >> FULL. I divide things so that I don't get conquered when it hits the fan.
38 >>
39 >> One thing about Linux, it has a LOT of options.
40 >>
41 >> Oh, there is talk of moving more things on -dev. If I didn't know
42 >> better, I'd think someone was trying to just change Gentoo until it
43 >> doesn't work any more. I dunno. Maybe I'm ready for a Apple now. o_O
44 >
45 > The reason I like Gentoo (and why I've moved so much stuff to it) is
46 > because it lets me get in and have much finer _optional_ control over
47 > many things with minimal fuss. Ubuntu-derived distributions make it
48 > very, very difficult to change very, very many things, while retaining
49 > an update-stable setup. As long as you don't have to stray to far from
50 > their One True Way, Ubuntu (or most Linux distros, actually) should be
51 > fine. The annoying thing about Ubuntu is how their One True Way
52 > changes dramatically every six months to a year.
56 I like, even love, Gentoo. Thing is, if it gets to where it doesn't
57 work like it should for me, there's no point in me using it. If I
58 wanted a OS that doesn't work well for me, I'd be buying M$'s crap.
59 Hey, it does install fairly fast but it is pretty crappy. LOL
60
61 I have said this about meeting a new lady, time tells. If I get to the
62 point where I have to use a init thingy and I can't get one to work,
63 Gentoo is no longer for me. Working is a must have thing for my OS. I
64 don't mind putting in the effort to have a great install or putting in
65 the effort to update it but it has to boot and work.
66
67 Dale
68
72 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
73 how you interpreted my words!
74
75 Miss the compile output? Hint:
76 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"