From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server system date synchronizaion
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:10:44
1 On 04/25/2013 11:02 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-04-25 10:33 AM, Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> We are trying to sync our server's time with an accurate ntp
4 >> server, and was wondering which of the many solutions are
5 >> considered viable. I did see the
6 >> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Time_Synchronization.
7 >
8 > Are these virtualized? It makes a difference, and from everything I've
9 > read, you don't sync virtualized servers the same as bare metal servers.
10 >
11 >> Our services are quite time sensitive.
12 >
13 > Ummm... *all* servers are critically time-sensitive.
16 Some are more critical than others. If you're primarily worried about
17 kerberos, variance of up to a couple minutes will likely go unnoticed.
18 If you're dumping logs into splunk, and need second-precision timestamps
19 to be comparable to each other across a multi-campus network, that's a
20 different degree of time-sensitive. If you're using a distributed
21 filesystem with time-sensitive conflict resolution algorithms, you could
22 easily start caring down to sub-millisecond ranges.