From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to determine if a NIC is playing gigabit?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 12:47:09
1 On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:50 AM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > Hi there,
4 >
5 > Yesterday I reseated the network cable between my server cupboard and my
6 > desk, and it now lights up on the switch by my desk as gigabit. But a
7 > file-transfer today is slower than I might have hoped.
8 >
9 > I'm not ruling out the cable, because it's pretty beat up (but the switch
10 > *is* lighting up as 1000), but how do I determine, please, that the Linux
11 > server at the other end is recognising the NIC and negotiating as gigabit
12 > speeds?
13 >
14 > The hard-drives on the server are using an older PCI SATA card, and the NIC
15 > is also PCI. But I would have expected it to be a bit faster than 100Mbps.
16 >
17 > Any estimates over what kind of speed I should be seeing for large
18 > file-transfers over Samba? Wildly ball-park is fine - I wouldn't expect a
19 > 10x speed increase, but maybe 2x or 3x - 4x would be great!
20 >
21 > I'll be testing between my Macs (both on the desktop switch, ruling out both
22 > the Linux box and the suspicious cable) later today, I'd just like some
23 > ideas of where I should be starting from.
24 >
25 > Right now I'm seeing 10 gigs of .mp4 files (1gb - 2gb per video file) taking
26 > about an hour - that's about what I'd expect from old 100Mbps networking,
27 > not this shiny new stuff.
28 >
29 > I'm not seeing any difference commenting & uncommenting "aio read size = 1,
30 > aio write size = 1" (separate lines) from /etc/samba/smb.conf and then
31 > running `/etc/init.d/samba reload`, but maybe I shouldn't expect that to
32 > make any difference on an existing transfer. I just don't want to interfere
33 > with this right now - I just want to copy as much as possible on to my
34 > laptop before I go out, and I'll take a look at this performance issue when
35 > I get home.
36 >
37 > Thanks in advance for any suggestions or pointers,
38 >
39 > Stroller.
44 In all likelihood, its your hard disk slowing down the network
45 transfer, and not the cabling. Generally speaking, if the hardware
46 says gigabit, than you've got gigabit.