From: Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [offtopic] Copy-On-Write ?
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2017 06:21:16
1 On 09/16/2017 07:06 AM, Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Fri, 15 Sep 2017 14:28:49 -0400
3 > schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
4 >
5 >> On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
6 >> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> At least in btrfs there's also a caveat that the original extents
9 >>> may not actually be split and the split extents share parts of the
10 >>> original extent. That means, if you delete the original later, the
11 >>> copy will occupy more space than expected until you defragment the
12 >>> file:
13 >>
14 >> True, but keep in mind that this applies in general in btrfs to any
15 >> kind of modification to a file. If you modify 1MB in the middle of a
16 >> 10GB file on ext4 you end up it taking up 10GB of space. If you do
17 >> the same thing in btrfs you'll probably end up with the file taking up
18 >> 10.001GB. Since btrfs doesn't overwrite files in-place it will
19 >> typically allocate a new extent for the additional 1MB, and the
20 >> original content at that position within the file is still on disk in
21 >> the original extent. It works a bit like a log-based filesystem in
22 >> this regard (which is also effectively copy on write).
23 >
24 > Good point, this makes sense. I never thought about that.
25 >
26 > But I guess that btrfs doesn't use 10G sized extents? And I also guess,
27 > this is where autodefrag jumps in.
28
29 According to btrfs-filesystem(8), defragmentation breaks reflinks, in
30 all but a few old kernel versions where I guess they tried to fix the
31 problem and apparently failed. This really makes much of what btrfs does
32 altogether pointless if you ever defragment manually or have autodefrag
33 enabled. Deduplication is broken for the same reason.