From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: HowTo rebuild everything same way differently
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 21:09:26
1 On 2015-04-10, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 150410 Mick wrote:
3 >>> On 10/04/2015 19:29, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>>> My Gentoo system is kinda old ... not in the sense of not being updated
5 >>> regularly, but in the sense of "used for a (too?) long time"
6 >> I still have a box running the same Gentoo installation since 2005.
7 >> I had another which died due to hardware failure
8 >> with its original 2003 installation.
9 >
10 > Same here : I've never re-installed Gentoo in the same machine,
11
12 I've been using Gentoo on a handfull of machines for something like 13
13 years now, and have only re-installed a handfull of times in a few
14 differnt situations:
15
16 1) Though I have done many motherboard replacements without
17 reinstalling, on one occasion after a hardware failure the new
18 motherboard and drive arrangement was different enough that I
19 decided to reinstall. I'm pretty sure I could have used a livecd
20 or rescuecd to get the old installation tweaked and running on the
21 new hardware, but a reinstall seemed simpler.
22
23 2) RAM or root hard drive failure corrupted caused system crashes.
24 After the underlying hardware problem was fixed, I didn't trust
25 the contents of the root fs.
26
27 3) Switching from 32-bit install to 64 install. That's happened a
28 few times, and I don't think there's a practical alternative to
29 reinstalling.
30
31 > but updated weekly on the everyday system & less often on the others ;
32 > ANB2 (2003) still opens up, but won't talk to today's mice,
33 > ANB3 (2007) has a graphics-card problem, so can't boot intelligibly,
34 > ANB4 (2012 : this one) has no software problems,
35 > Horace (EEE-PC 2009) was recently updated successfully after 2 yr .
36 >
37 > Short advice : you're probably wasting your time (smile).
41 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Maybe I should have
42 at asked for my Neutron Bomb
43 gmail.com in PAISLEY --