From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot btrfs
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 18:53:54
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I've created a new btrfs volume on SSDs, complete with a lot of subvolumes
5 > corresponding to the old lvm2 logical volumes. I took the opportunity of
6 > removing a couple of old partitions, so I now have this:
7 >
8 > /dev/sd[ab]1 form /dev/md1 as /boot,
9 > /dev/sd[ab]2 are my rescue system: sda2 is its root, sdb2 is its portage tree,
10 > /dev/sd[ab]3 is the btrfs file system.
11 >
12 > I can boot my rescue system with no problems, but not the main system - I get
13 > a kernel panic with "BTRFS: failed to read the system array on sda3". I'm
14 > writing this after chroot, su - prh, startx.
15 >
16 > Both in the main and rescue systems I have this:
17 > $ grep -i btrfs /usr/src/linux/.config
18 > CONFIG_BTRFS_FS=y
19 > CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
20 > # CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_CHECK_INTEGRITY is not set
21 > # CONFIG_BTRFS_FS_RUN_SANITY_TESTS is not set
22 > # CONFIG_BTRFS_DEBUG is not set
23 > # CONFIG_BTRFS_ASSERT is not set
24 >
25 > The relevant grub.cfg entries (I've moved to grub-2) are:
26 >
27 > menuentry 'Gentoo Linux 4.0.5, no network' {
28 > linux /boot/kernel-x86_64-4.0.5-gentoo root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=nonet
29 > net.ifnames=0 irqpoll
30 > }
31 > menuentry 'Rescue System 4.0.5' {
32 > linux /boot/kernel-x86_64-4.0.5-gentoo-rescue root=/dev/sda2
33 > net.ifnames=0 irqpoll
34 > }
35 >
36 > Something seemed to be wrong in the kernel setup, so to test that I compiled
37 > the main kernel with the .config from the rescue system. Same result.
38 >
39 > Another test: I wondered whether, somehow, the btrfs volume included the name
40 > of the mount point where it had been created, and would only allow itself to
41 > be mounted there. Not so: moving its mount point in the rescue system didn't
42 > prevent it from being mounted. I didn't expect it would, since the kernel
43 > panic occurs long before fstab is read.
44 >
45 > The other thing I've tried is to build an initramfs with dracut. I tried to
46 > include its btrfs module but it refused because it couldn't find a command
47 > btrfs. So I recompiled the kernel with btrfs as a module and added
48 > 'filesystems+="btrfs" ' into dracut.conf. Still no success.
49 >
50 > After a few days of floundering around, copious googling and getting splinters
51 > under my fingernails I'm out of ideas. Can anyone see what else I can try? I
52 > created the btrfs with "mkfs.btrfs -m raid1 -d raid1 --label GENTOO /dev/sda3
53 > /dev/sdb3". I've done that twice, with all the subvolume creation and backup
54 > recovery, the second time with --force.
58 This may not be related but thought I would mention. For some reason,
59 my system will not boot a kernel newer than 3.18.7. I use
60 gentoo-sources and generally use make oldconfig. I have also tried the
61 new 4.0 kernels as well. They try to boot but don't make it past the
62 kernel trying to do its thing. I don't reboot often so I have not had
63 the chance to figure out exactly why this is happening. Recently I had
64 to start using that pesky init thingy but I don't think that is causing
65 the problem. I get a error/panic and then it says it is going to
66 reboot in 10 seconds. By the time I figure out where the failure might
67 be, it reboots itself.
68
69 I thought I would mention just in the rare event you are running into
70 the same issue I am. Just a thought. If you know this isn't the
71 problem, just ignore and carry on.
72
73 Dale
74