From: Matthew Cline <matthew.cline@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing portage in my LAN without rsync?
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 13:40:52
1 On 9/15/05, aka Sevein Jes__s Garc__a Crespo <correo@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi! Was Portage developed to work with a /usr/portage directory mounted
3 > from another computer with NFS or SMB? I did it and it worked.
4 >
5 > I thought this way could be easier than rsync when you have maybe two
6 > or three computer working with the same network-shared directory. But I
7 > noticed a poor performance even when the newtwork connection is very
8 > good. And I get messages like this:
12 I have a similar setup, with one portage tree shared via NFS to
13 several computers. I have also noticed some performance drawbacks.
14 Usually, the first time I run a command like "emerge -av whatever"
15 there is a noticable delay (20-30 seconds). However, subsequent
16 invocations of emerge start-up normally.
17
18 HTH,
19
20 Matt