From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:38:42
1 On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Dale wrote:
4 > >> That will tell you packages that are installed and !may! not be
5 > >> needed by other packages. Note all the warnings here? I have not
6 > >> had anything serious removed by using this in ages but strange
7 > >> things can happen. You need to be careful with this. Remove the
8 > >> wrong thing and it can be a uphill battle to get it fixed.
9 > >
10 > > Like the fellow in the next desk this morning updating a machine
11 > > that hasn't been touched since 2005 (!)
12 > >
13 > > He noticed a blocker with python-updater after 'emerge world' and
14 > > was about to unmerge python and remerge the new one to get around
15 > > the blocker ...
16 > >
17 > > Lucky I saw it in time...
18 >
19 > New friend for life I suspect. That would be a doozy for sure. I
20 > haven't done that yet.
21
22 I have :-)
23
24 I've also removed (forcibly) all versions of gcc, portage, and glibc
25 individually and all together. quickpkg is a nice thing to know
26 about :-)
27
28 Once I even merged busybox to the root filesystem. It overwrites all the
29 Unix tools with symlinks to busybox. Cool, you get a tiny install that
30 can go on an embedded device.
31
32 BUT, busybox give you tar, it does not give you tar -o
33
34 Guess which gentoo-specific app requires tar -o? Do I hear the
35 word "portage"? Anyone??
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list