From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: using package.provided
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 17:10:31
1 Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> writes:
2
3 > You need to learn more about portage. Read:
4 >
5 > man portage
6 > man 5 portage
7 > man ebuild
8 > man 5 ebuild
9
10 Now I have a better idea how things are meant to work... but if I want
11 to violate that... by that I mean ..not work on my own ebuild enough
12 to begin to understand how its done... not put in the time and effort
13 required to do my own ebuild.
14
15 I like to build my own emacs, I've used emacs since about 1996, Long
16 before I started with gentoo (about 2 yrs now ago).
17
18 I like where a default emacs build and install puts stuff, I like the
19 emacs maintainers ideas of preloaded stuff. I don't want to find some
20 buried package conflict due to something gentoo devs think should be
21 preloaded or whatever.
22
23 I have a long list of special lisp packages in places I expect.
24 I update from cvs often.
25
26 In short I prefer not having to even think about all the above.
27 I prefer the simplicity of hand installation and know exactly what to
28 expect.
29
30 cd /usr/local/cvs/emacs and cvs update -Pd
31 ./configure
32 make
33 make install
34
35 All that said, what then would be the best way to let gentoo know I
36 have installed a very recent emacs and any dependancies gentoo may
37 need are available at /usr/local/share/emacs.
38
39 I've been doing it by putting this in
40 /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
41
42 app-editors/emacs-cvs-24
43 app-editors/emacs-24
44
45 (not sure if the double entry matters)
46
47 Is it correct that at least theoretically:
48 When emacs passes version 24 gentoo would then begin installing emacs
49 from portage?
50
51 Is that likely to fall victim to Neils humorous point about causing
52 hard to diagnose system problems?
53
54 Is there a better way to accomplish my goal? The masking approach was
55 explained as being a way to continue to use OLDER packages which is
56 not the case here.
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list