From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD microcode updates - where are they?!
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 18:06:29
1 On Saturday, 13 July 2019 18:42:27 BST Jack wrote:
2 >
3 > If linux-firmware is emerged with the savedconfig use flag, then only
4 > the firmware not deleted from the config file is left.
5
6 Yes. I used to do this, but gave up after a while.
7
8 > I did find a
9 > few extras based on the "failed to load..." messages after my initial
10 > overzealous trimming of that config file. My current concern is indeed
11 > with the microcode, about which no complaint. Looking at the link
12 > below shows me I am missing the files for my 17h family Ryzen CPU. It
13 > will be a bit before I can reboot to see if it does load them once I
14 > re-emerge linux-firmware to get them.
15
16 Make sure the corresponding AMDGPU driver settings are built in the kernel,
17 not as modules.
18
19 Ryzen CPUs are new(ish) and the MoBo OEMs should still be releasing UEFI/BIOS
20 firmware updates, which will contain any needed microcode patches. You'll
21 obtain these next time you flash your BIOS with the latest release, if/when
22 there is one available. Your 'dmesg | grep micro' patch number will change as
23 a result, but there will be no 'early microcode update ...' message since the
24 OS will not be applying any microcode patches itself.
25
26 It is older CPUs which need the patches, since OEMs usually abandon any
27 intention to support their hardware beyond the nominal warranty period.
30 > I'll update again once I've done that.
31 >
32 > Jack
33
34 Cool, thanks for your input.