From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: SOLVED: Recover from LVM errors? (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] Help - system reboots while compiling)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:20:55
1 On Wednesday 28 March 2007, "Jeff Rollin" <jeff.rollin@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'SOLVED: Recover from LVM errors? (Was: Re: [gentoo-user] Help -
3 system reboots while compiling)':
4 > Ignore the following if you don't like minirants.
5 (My reply probably needs the same disclaimer.)
6
7 > 1. Frankly, I'm not impressed with Linux in this case*. /var is not a
8 > "mission critical" filesystem in the sense that if it contains errors,
9 > it can still be mounted and the errors don't necessarily mean the
10 > system won't come up.
11
12 By that definition, no filesystem I can think of is "mission critial", they
13 will all withstand some damage and still let your system come up. /var is
14 *at least* as important as /usr -- I can easily recover the contents
15 of /usr in case of critical failure, but reconstructing /var is damn near
16 impossible. Also, /usr can generally be very useful with just r/o access,
17 while /var needs to be r/w to fill it's role.
18
19 Also, forcing a mount of a damaged filesystem is asking for trouble.
20 Dangling inodes (or similar) can cause cascading failure; at best some
21 processes will read garbage and crash (or, ideally, "magically" recover)
22 at worst good data on the disk will be overwritten with bad. File locks on
23 a damaged filesystem are meaningless since two files (not simply two
24 dirents like with a hard link, but two unrelated files) might share disk
25 sectors.
26
27 The system should definitely refuse to mount damaged file systems by
28 default or *at the very least* mount them read-only. I wouldn't mind and
29 interactive prompt to force mounting a damaged filesystem, but I'd need a
30 way to turn that off for unattended systems.
33 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
34 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
35 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
36 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/