From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Quiet builds Re: [gentoo-user] emerge -j, make -j and make -l
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 15:50:56
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >>> Mick<michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> On Saturday 26 Nov 2011 15:22:15 Michael Mol wrote:
7 >>>>> I just wanted to share an experience I had today with optimizing
8 >>>>> parallel
9 >>>>> builds after discovering "-l" for Make...
10 >>>>>
11 >>>>> I've got a little more tweaking I still want to do, but this is pretty
12 >>>>> awesome...
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>> http://funnybutnot.wordpress.com/2011/11/26/optimizing-parallel-builds/
15 >>>>>
16 >>>>> ZZ
17 >>>> Thanks for sharing! How do you determine the optimum value for -l?
18 >>> How do you get emerge not to display number of jobs and load average --
19 >>> I only want to compile one at a time -- much safer that way and it is
20 >>> doing that, but now it displays all that load average and how many jobs,
21 >>> etc. -- any way to get rid of that display?
22 >>>
23 >> Thank Zac for that. He thinks he knows what you want. ;-) Apparently not
24 >> huh?
25 >>
26 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901858.html
27 >>
28 >> Just add --quiet-build=n to EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in make.conf and it will do
29 >> it the old way.
30 > Oh! I hadn't realized there was an update to portage that changed
31 > that. Missed it on my main box, I suppose.
32
33 You have got to crawl out of the hole every once in a while. It was on
34 -dev then got moved over to the forums with a poll, which the results
35 were ignored.
36
37 Bad thing is, they won't announce the change until it hits stable. I'm
38 thinking of adding it to my sig so people will notice it and not have to
39 ask.
40
41 < sighs >
42
43 Dale
44
48 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!