From: Fernando Meira <fmeira@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 18:10:28
1 Hi,
2
3 On 8/8/05, Tero Grundstr� <tero@××××××××××××.fi> wrote:
4 >
5 > On Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Fernando Meira wrote:
6 >
7 > > Hi Tero,
8 > > what I meant with "redo my partitions" was in the way that I will expand
9 > > my gentoo partition (or try to).
10 > > I have:
11 > > # df -h
12 > > Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
13 > > /dev/hda4 4.6G 3.8G 803M 83% /
14 > ^^ *might* be enough for a minimal system, but not for your compiles or
15 > distfiles.
18 Yep. I don't pretend to have a minimal system. In fact, my laptop is the
19 only pc I currently use, so it has to have everything I need.
20
21 > udev 252M 808K 252M 1% /dev
22 > ^^ Why a separate partition for /dev? This is complete waste. Especially
23 > with that size.
26 As Neil said, it is a virtual filesystem. I didn't create it. What I did
27 create was the swap partition with 512MB (the same size as my RAM) and it
28 looks like it is split into two: "udev" and "none".
29
30 > /dev/hda5 23G 20G 3.3G 86% /mnt/share
31 > ^^ You'll *never* need that much space in here. Do not have this on a
32 > separate partition. Maybe you could make this partition your /home ?
35 Well, this partition has the purpose to hold all my documents and stuff. My
36 idea was to have a partition only to windoz and its programs, another to
37 gentoo and its programs, and then this one accessed by both side. It started
38 to be my /home but I had some problems with permissions in the beginning
39 that I couldn't solve, so I had to move /home back to gentoo partition.
40
41 > /dev/hda1 9.8G 8.0G 1.8G 82% /mnt/windows
42 > ^^ Complete waste ;)
45 ehheh.. .yes! The problem is that I need some things from there. I really
46 can't wait for the day when I don't waste disk space with crap.
47
48 > what are the advantages of pointing PORTAGE_TMPDIR and DISTDIR to other
49 > > partitions?
50 >
51 > The idea is, ofcourse, to give your compiles and distfiles more room.
52 > This in turn would free up space for your system.
55 Ok, but that is assuming that I can point them to other partition. But if I
56 have other partition available, I can just merge it with gentoo's one and
57 keep everything together. It would be the same, right?
60 > > thanks for the localepurge tip:
61 > > - Total disk space freed by localepurge: 48448K (not bad ;)
62 >
63 > Yeah, it's great. BTW, check out the 'userlocales' USE flag for glibc too.
64 > It will speed up the compilation and save some space.
67 I'll have a look to that.
68 Thanks!
69 Fernando