From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvmetad Errors
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 09:19:45
1 On Wednesday 24 Jun 2015 12:13:06 Alex Thorne wrote:
2
3 > I used to get the following error in /var/log/rc.log
4 > /run/lvm/lvmetad.socket: connect failed: No such file or directory
5 > I am not sure why this was happening, but I read that one fix was to
6 > disable lvmetad entirely. And so I set
7 > use_lvmetad = 0
8 > in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf.
9 >
10 > However, now I get error messages of the following form (e.g. when running
11 > grub2-mkconfig):
12 > WARNING: lvmetad is runing but disabled. Restart lvmetad before enabling
13 > it!
14
15 I don't have an rc.log but I used to see this scroll by during boot and
16 shutdown. The cure seems to be to remove mdraid from the boot run-level [1].
17
18 I don't properly understand what's going on here: I needed mdraid in boot
19 while building the system, but once it was up and running and udev was
20 starting the RAID volumes it was better to remove it. I still have use_lvmetad
21 = 1. Bug 521280 refers.
22
23 > I ran
24 > /etc/init.d/lvmetad needsme
25 > and got
26 > lvm-monitor lvm
27 > I don't understand why lvm is starting lvmetad even when I have disabled
28 > it. lvmetad is certainly not in any runlevel itself and I just don't know
29 > where to go from here.
30 >
31 > I would appreciate some advice on how to fix either problem (the socket
32 > connect issue when lvmetad is enabled, or the fact that lvmetad still
33 > starts when it's disabled...)
34
35 [1] ...and have a rescue system ready to chroot from and put it back :-)
38 Rgds
39 Peter