From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] "free -m" under x86_64
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 22:23:01
1 Greets,
2
3 following that Core2Duo-thread from a few days ago I now set up a new
4 installation of my current 32bit-x86-setup on a second 64bit machine.
5
6 I started a fresh install with the amd64 cd, used
7 CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" and emerged everything fresh from the world
8 file on the 32bit machine.
9
10 I built the kernel for a generic 64bit CPU (just to make sure that it
11 will be easy to move that partition to the target system, I will have to
12 move from a Pentium D950 to a Core2Duo E6600).
13
14 #zgrep 64 /proc/config.gz
15 CONFIG_X86_64=y
16 CONFIG_64BIT=y
17 [...]
18
19 Now I wonder why "free -m" still shows only 3.2 GB of RAM when I have 4
20 gigs in the box ...
21
22 Do I have to set/remove some specific kernel-flag in
23 /usr/src/linux/.config ?
24
25 Do I misunderstand something?
26