From: Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: X now starts. (was: Gentoo still not up ...)
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 13:55:15
1 On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 11:30:03 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
4 > So I proceeded to emerge xorg-server for real. No more keyboard problems.
5 > Instead I get the black screen of death. The monitor on light starts
6 > bliking, indicating it is getting no signal, ctrl-alt-backspace and
7 > ctrl-alt-delete don't work, and only a hard reset on the box itself
8 > gets anything going.
9 >
10 > My make.conf specifies VIDEO_CARDS="radeon", even though the automatically
11 > generated /root/xorg.conf.new specifies
12 >
13 > Driver "ati"
14 >
15 > in the "Device" section. Could this be a problem? The hardware is a. ATI
16 > Radeon all-in-wonder card.
17 >
18 > I tried replacing ati by fbdev just to get something working, but it just
19 > told me it couldn't find fbdev. Presumably this driver was not installed.
20 > Is the proper way to install this add in fbdev to the make.conf file:
21 >
22 > VIDEO_CARDS="radeon fbdev"
23 >
24 > or even
25 >
26 > VIDEO_CARDS="radeon ati fbdev"
27 >
28 > and then re-emerge xorg-server?
29
30 Well, that worked.
31
32 X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
33
34 gives me the usual grey tweed pattern and an X cursor. Both the ati and
35 radeon drivers work, but fbdev doesn't -- not that I need it any more, of
36 course.
37
38 > Or is there a more
39 straightforward way?
40 > I still haven't found a way to browse the list of available packages
41 > the way I used to do in Debian using aptitude or packages.debian.org.
42 >
43 > -- hendrik
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list