From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Are VirtualBox moduli loaded by themselves?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 20:40:11
1 In VirtualBox Gentoo wiki is written that, to run VirtualBox, one should
2 emerge app-emulation/virtualbox-modules and load them into memory
3 either by using modprobe or by adding the following line
4 modules="vboxdrv vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxpci"
5 into /etc/conf.d/modules
6
7 I did nothing of mentioned above (except for emerging virtualbox-modules,
8 of course) but nevertheless lsmod shows that all virtualbox-modules are
9 loaded just after the boot (without even asking me if I need them):
10 $ lsmod
11 Module Size Used by
12 vboxpci 12846 0
13 vboxnetadp 18502 0
14 vboxnetflt 17028 0
15 vboxdrv 361873 3 vboxnetadp,vboxnetflt,vboxpci
16 kvm_amd 2159235 0
17 kvm 480742 1 kvm_amd
18 irqbypass 2808 1 kvm
19
20 Can anybody explain me who loads virtualbox-modules without my consent
21 and how I can make them loaded only when I need them (just before I am going
22 to run VirtualBox, which I do not so often)?