From: Jeff Cranmer <jeff@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with Nvidia fake raid array
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 00:45:37
1 On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 09:06 -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 07/18/2011 11:08 PM, Jeff Cranmer wrote:
5 > > Pardon my additional questions before taking the plunge here.
6 > >
7 > > So, given that I have three devices, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc, if
8 > > I run the command mdadm --assemble --scan, would this find all the
9 > > components and create a /dev/md0 disk without damaging the contents of
10 > > the original RAID array?
11 >
12 > If you've got the space and time, a backup can't hurt. Using --scan will
13 > make it check the config file, but right now, there's probably nothing
14 > useful in it. This looks like what you want to do to me:
15 >
16 > If the --scan option is not given, then only devices and identities
17 > listed on the command line are considered.
18 >
19 > The first device will be the array device, and the remainder will be
20 > examined when looking for components.
21 >
22 > but I'd figure out where that md0 is coming from (below) first.
23 >
24 When I tried mdadm --assemble --scan with nothing uncommented in the
25 configuration file, I got
26 mdadm: No arrays found in config file or automatically.
27 Typing dmesg | grep md0 returned no lines.
28
29 There are a couple of lines in dmesg when I run dmesg | grep md:, but
30 they read
31 md: linear personality registered for level -1
32 md: raid0 personality registered for level 0
33 md: raid1 personality registered for level 1
34 md: raid10 personality registered for level 10
35 md: raid6 personality registered for level 6
36 md: raid5 personality registered for level 5
37 md: raid4 personality registered for level 4
38 md: Waiting for all devices to be available before autodetect
39 md: If you don't use raid, use raid=noautodetect
40 md: Autodetecting RAID arrays
41 md: Scanned 0 and added 0 devices
42 md: autorun...
43 md: ... autorun DONE.
44
45 I think this means that raid5 is set up correctly in the kernel, but it
46 can't find the raid array.
47
48 Next I tried adding a line to the config file:
49
50 DEVICE /dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc
51 mdadm --assemble --scan returned the same results as before
52
53 Next, I tried commenting out the previously added DEVICE line, and
54 adding
55 ARRAY /dev/md0 devices=/dev/sda,/dev/sdb,/dev/sdc
56
57 mdadm --assemble --scan returns something different
58 mdadm: /dev/sdb has no superblock - assembly aborted.
59 >
60 > > The only item in /dev/mapper is th default 'control' entry. There is
61 > > a /dev/md0 item already listed, but presently when I try to mount it, it
62 > > reports that it is unable to read the superblock. Would the command
63 > > above fix this?
64 >
65 > Depends. Where'd the md0 come from? You probably have something in your
66 > logs or dmesg, unless that device was created manually on your old system.
69 > > Where is the config file mentioned in your e-mail, and do I need to edit
70 > > it first to add the three raid disks?
71 >
72 > It's /etc/mdadm.conf. You don't need it to create or use the array, but
73 > you'll want to run mdadm when the machine boots and the config file
74 > tells it what to do. Once the array is working, you can just do,
75 >
76 > mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf
77 >
78 mdadm --detail --scan returns no output.
79
80 Also, I just checked /dev and md0 is now gone from the list.
81
82 Since there are also /dev/sg0, /dev/sg1 and /dev/sg1, I also tried those
83 instead of /dev/sda, /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc in the ARRAY line, but mdadm
84 --assemble --scan returned no output
85
86 I tried re-booting, but /dev/md0 is now permanently gone.
87
88 Does this give you any ideas what I can try next??
89
90 Thanks
91
92 Jeff