From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OFF] string1!string2!string3 notation
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:05:52
1 * Claudio Roberto Fran?a Pereira <spideybr@×××××.com> [120227 08:35]:
2 > I'm reading Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire, and at the end of
3 > the book there is an about the author section that mentions two
4 > contact addresses: one is an email, the other is
5 > microsoft!storm!stevem. The book is from 1993, so that should be an
6 > old address, for an old protocol. So what? That's not enough for my
7 > curiosity. Anyone does know where this came from?
8 >
9 > --
10 > Claudio Roberto França Pereira
13 As others have said it's a "bang path" for UUCP routing.
14
15 It was used for mail routing even when not strictly using UUCP as well.
16
17 This was before such thing as DNS and you got to pass around host tables
18 (/etc/hosts) which contained all known hosts and their IP addresses.
19
20 Todd