From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:09:53
1 Sebastian Beßler wrote:
2 > On 27.03.2012 20:30, Dale wrote:
3 >> May be trying Kubuntu here pretty soon.
4 >
5 > Be prepared for hard times using Kubuntu as it is now no major part of
6 > the Ubuntu family anymore. That means much less money and much less
7 > manpower. And if this issue with a init-thingy bothers you, Kubuntu will
8 > be living hell. As long as (K)Ubuntu works everything is fine, but in
9 > case of an error you just can't fix it. Everything is close tight to
10 > everything else. Change on thing and all fails.
11 >
12 > Greetings
13 >
14 > Sebastian
18 Well, based on my experience with Mandrake back in the day, the init
19 thingy is going to break for me here just like it did there. I'm
20 thinking about Kubuntu but I may actually decide on something else.
21 Thing is, it appears Gentoo is going to break my system so I may as well
22 find something that I can install lots quicker to fix what is broke.
23 Kubuntu is just one option. I installed it for my brother and it works
24 fine, SO FAR.
25
26 I may be jumping out of the frying pan into a fire but I think I need to
27 at least try something else. This is very true if I continue to have
28 issues with the init thingy and not being able to su to root. I know
29 how to use a console but I only use it when needed. That's not very
30 often and I sort of like it that way.
31
32 Barring that, I could just put everything on / and just hope nothing
33 goes bonkers and fills it up with useless errors or something in the
34 messages file. I have had this happen before and /var was full, I mean
35 FULL. I divide things so that I don't get conquered when it hits the fan.
36
37 One thing about Linux, it has a LOT of options.
38
39 Oh, there is talk of moving more things on -dev. If I didn't know
40 better, I'd think someone was trying to just change Gentoo until it
41 doesn't work any more. I dunno. Maybe I'm ready for a Apple now. o_O
42
43 Dale
44
48 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
49 how you interpreted my words!
50
51 Miss the compile output? Hint:
52 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"