From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SHOULD BE gnome-settings-daemon failed]
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:09:25
1 On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Michael Sullivan <msulli1355@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 16:56 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> gOn Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> > I sort of covered this a while ago but in a nutshell, when I send a
5 >> > email to this list, I don't get a copy back. I have a copy in my sent
6 >> > box but not a copy that comes back from the list. I view this list
7 >> > threaded so it can confuse me if I forget to copy a message back.
8 >> > Someone could reply to my message and me not even know it was me they
9 >> > responded too.
10 >>
11 >> I know of two 100% sure ways to do this, and one possible way.
12 >>
13 >> 1. Use the web-based interface. My sent emails on this list show up in
14 >> the thread where they belong. I know, I know. :)
15 >>
16 >> 2. Use IMAP and utilize gmail's labels. For instance, I have a filter
17 >> set up to apply the "gentoo" label to anything on this list and skip
18 >> the inbox. In Thunderbird, the "gentoo" label shows up as a folder
19 >> under my gmail account. All new messages from the list show up there,
20 >> and my sent mail does as well. When I click that folder in
21 >> Thunderbird, I can see the threaded view of all messages on this list
22 >> -- including my own.
23 >>
24 >> 3. If IMAP is not an option and you must use POP, perhaps you can set
25 >> up a filter on gmail to move your sent mail to the inbox, or set up
26 >> your e-mail client to BCC yourself on every sent message.
27 >>
28 >> > On the spam thing, I use POP access so I don't want any spam filtering.
29 >> > I do that on my end plus I used to get a LOT of false positives. Right
30 >> > now, I check via web mail and tell it NONE of what it thinks is spam is
31 >> > actually spam. It may mess up their filters but it is starting to send
32 >> > them to me so it is working a little at least.
33 >>
34 >> You can disable spam filtering. Set up a filter to catch all of your
35 >> e-mail and use the "Never send it to Spam" option. I am on mailing
36 >> lists that deal with spam and phishing, probably the majority of the
37 >> messages would go to spam without that feature. On the web interface,
38 >> it even puts a little note next to the message that says something to
39 >> the effect of "Gmail thinks this is spam, but because of your filter
40 >> we've allowed it anyway".
41 >>
42 >> Good luck :)
43 >>
44 >> Paul
45 >>
46 > My problem is that I'm never sure if my emails actually get to the list.
47 > If I send a question in and don't get it back, and nobody responds to
48 > it, what else am I supposed to assume, except that my original post got
49 > lost somewhere on the Internet...
50
51 Since I've been on this list, I see two non-reply messages from you
52 that went unanswered (both in the past week).
53
54 10 of the top 20 contributors to this list are using gmail so I think
55 it's reasonable to assume your messages are getting through and
56 unfortunately nobody knew how to help (which is frustrating).
57
58 Is the problem that the list server doesn't send copies of your
59 messages back to you, or is gmail hiding it somehow? I guess if the
60 message-ID is the same, gmail would know the one in your sent mail is
61 the same as the one it is receiving, so it'll consolidate it. If
62 that's the case, maybe you would actually want to DELETE your sent
63 mail to this list, that way when the list sends it back to you it'll
64 be new again. I'm not sure if that would work. (This is assuming the
65 list sends your own messages back to you)