From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why --noclear not set on tty1 in default /etc/inittab?
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2015 09:14:16
1 On Saturday, August 08, 2015 4:55:03 AM Fernando Rodriguez wrote:
2 > On Saturday, August 08, 2015 4:45:06 AM Felix Miata wrote:
3 > > Fernando Rodriguez composed on 2015-08-08 03:43 (UTC-0400):
4 > >
5 > > > Felix Miata wrote:
6 > >
7 > > >> I don't get why any distro leaves this out, why anyone wouldn't like to
8 > > >> automatically notice while booting any announcement that something
9 > failed,
10 > > >> especially someone who has just gotten a new installation up for the
11 first
12 > > >> times. Why isn't --noclear set by default?
13 > >
14 > > > Because it's your choice (and your job) to set it or not. Gentoo is not
15 a
16 > > > distro per se, it' more of a set of tools to help you build your own
17 > system.
18 > > > In most cases it provides whatever upstream ships with only patches and
19 > fixes
20 > > > as needed.
21 > >
22 > > Understood, but there were actually two questions posed. You seem to have
23 > > answered only the second. Maybe Mick's answer addresses the first.
24 > >
25 > > > There's also a logging setting on rc.conf that logs the boot process.
26 > >
27 > > That's not an automatic tickler, only a log. Clearing tty1's init messages
28 > > has never ever made sense to me. IOW, they get put there by default, so
29 why
30 > > not leave them there by default? If upstream's responsible for the default
31 > > clearing, why did it so choose?
32 >
33 > Actually that one's provided by gentoo, point was it's just a preference, I
34 > like it the way it is. Maybe some consider it a security issue as Mick
35 stated
36 > (I don't think it is).
37 >
38 > > > The rest of your problems where due to failure to follow the handbook.
39 > >
40 > > But did I need to emerge dev-haskell/hostname, or was another hostname
41 > > function already part of the base, and the haskell one something more or
42 > > different from built in?
43 >
44 > No, you just needed to set it like you did (if you followed the wiki that
45 you
46 > posted, it's also in the handbook). I believe that file is part of openrc but
47 > it doesn't get overwritten if you reinstall the package (none of the files on
48 > /etc do). You need to run etc-update after emerging to update those files.
49
50 To remove safely now you should run:
51 emerge --deselect dev-haskell/hostname
52 followed by:
53 emerge --depclean
54
55 That will remove it only if it's not needed by some other package.
58 Fernando Rodriguez