From: "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MCE in kernel
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 05:33:42
1 Thank you Dan:
2
3 I'll look into this. Time to tear the old box apart again.
4
5 Thank you again.
6
7 Alan
8
9 On 9/4/07, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
10 >
11 > On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 06:51:38 +1000
12 > "Alan E. Davis" <lngndvs@×××××.com> wrote:
13 >
14 > > I think your solution is the better one, though.
15 > >
16 > > I did follow the instructions of the boot messages and installed an
17 > > mce log translation utility, but I didn't make sense of what to do
18 > > with it.
19 >
20 > The thing is, you are only masking symptoms. There may be something
21 > wrong, and perhaps you could save a lot of work later by fixing a
22 > problem before it turns catastrophic.
23 >
24 > from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception
25 >
26 > A Machine Check Exception, also called MCE, is a computer hardware
27 > error which occurs when a computer's central processing unit detects an
28 > unrecoverable hardware problem.
29 >
30 > Normal causes for MCE errors are overheating and/or incorrect hardware
31 > installation. Overheating can cause electrons to become more animated
32 > and thus escape from the silicon tracks, resulting in corrupted data.
33 > Some specific manually induced causes could be:
34 >
35 > Overclocking (naturally increases heat output)
36 >
37 > Poorly fitted heatsink/computer fans (the same problem can happen with
38 > excessive dust in the CPU fan)
39 >
40 > Computer software can also cause errors in this way (normally by
41 > corrupting data they are reading or writing). For example:
42 >
43 > -Software performing read or write operations to non-existent memory
44 > regions which leads to confusion for the processor and/or the system
45 > bus.
46 >
47 > 3rd party programs
48 >
49 > mcelog
50 > mcelog is a Linux program to decode MCE's on x86-64 processors
51 >
52 > --
53 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
59 Alan Davis, Kagman High School, Saipan lngndvs@×××××.com
60
61 "An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for one
62 non-existent."
63 ---Lord Raleigh (aka John William Strutt), or else his son,