From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: genkernel-next will not mount /usr but genkernel will
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 02:35:00
1 Greg Surbey <gregsurbey@×××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > <covici <at> ccs.covici.com> writes:
6 > > Hi folks. I wanted to switch to using genkernel-next instead of
7 > > genkernel so eventually I could switch to using systemd. However
8 > > genkernel-next-50 will not mount my /usr file system. I have everything
9 > > on lvm volumes, except my /boot which is a regular partition. With the
10 > > regular genkernel /usr is mounted, but I can't even test systemd
11 > > bedcause it looks for realinit before /usr is even mounted. My
12 > > genkernel command line is:
13 > > genkernel --no-clean --no-splash --lvm --e2fsprogs
14 > > --kerneldir=/usr/src/linux-3.6.2-gentoo initramfs
15 > >
16 > > Now when I use genkernel-next, it would not mount /usr because it said
17 > > no such file or directory -- I guess its mount point -- not sure of
18 > > that. It would not execute udev because it said there was a missing
19 > > library.
20 > >
21 > > So, how can this be fixed? Is there a bug in genkernel-next?
22 > >
23 > > Thanks in advance for any ideas.
26 > Hi Covici,
27 >
28 > I experienced a similar issue to yours and I thought I'd post a workaround
29 > that worked for my situation. What I did was add 'debug' as a kernel line
30 > parameter so that the initramfs would drop me into a busybox commandline
31 > before mounting the root file system. I then went into /dev/vg/ and ran
32 > this command 'ln -sf /dev/dm-0 usr'. This changed the symbolic link from a
33 > relative to an absolute path and thus fixed it so the mount command would
34 > work correctly when called in the bootup script. I typed 'exit' to continue
35 > with the boot.
36
37 That is interesting, if true, there is a bug in genkernel-next -- I
38 wonder if they fixed it in 53 -- I was using -50.
39
40 Thanks for the hint.
43 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
44 How do
45 you spend it?
46
47 John Covici