From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --buildpkg and doing a dry run on a upgrade
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 20:19:08
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 12:57 on Saturday 21 August 2010, Dale did
3 > opine thusly:
6 >> Hi,
7 >>
8 >> I'm wanting to install the latest KDE 4.5 which is in the kde overlay.
9 >> I got everything unmasked, keyworded and ready to go. Since this is a
10 >> large upgrade and will take some time to compile, I would like to just
11 >> build the binaries then come back and install them when the compiling is
12 >> all done. The emerge man page says this:
13 >>
14 >> --buildpkgonly (-B)
15 >> Creates binary packages for all ebuilds processed without actually
16 >> merging the packages. This comes with the caveat that all build-time
17 >> dependencies must already be emerged on the system.
18 >>
19 >> The part that I have a question on is the dependencies. Will portage be
20 >> able to build all the packages when the previous packages are not
21 >> installed yet? My thinking says this won't work but looking for a
22 >> second opinion from a more "seasoned" guru.
25 > Here's excellent advice:
26 >
27 > Do not install KDE-4.5 yet
28 >
29 > wait for 4.5.1
30 >
31 > First, it's in an overlay, so when 4.5 hits the tree you will unmerge the
32 > whole lot again and redo it. How many spare cycles you got?
33 >
34 > If you have 4.4.5 installed from portage you will likely hit clashes with the
35 > overlay. There's were never pleasant in the 4.[23] era, I don't see that
36 > changing.
37 >
38 > 4.5.0 has some pretty severe regressions, bad enough for QA to not put it in
39 > the tree
40 >
41 > 4.5.0 does not have the kdepim suite - this might not apply to you. I can just
42 > imagine the akonadi updates when 4.5.1 hits the tree....
43 >
44 > You gotta ask yourself "Is there a COMPELLING need for 4.5.0 other than it's
45 > brand new and shiny?"
49 I did some googlin last night and ran across some blog. I think it was
50 on KDE's website but anyway. The blog said about the same thing you
51 said. It appears to be a . . . . mess. ;-)
52
53 Any idea when 4.5.1 will be in the tree even if masked/keyworded?
54
55 Dale
56
58
59 < Dale is going to remove the overlay now >