From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: unix philosophy question for old farts: the original purpose for /tmp ?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 21:32:27
1 From: Alan McKinnon [mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com]
2 Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 2:46 PM
3 > On 16/12/2014 20:05, walt wrote:
4 > > On 12/15/2014 11:17 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > >> /tmp is still very much in use and very much needed, it isn't going
6 > >> anywhere soon. The FHS has something interesting to say about /tmp,
7 > >> along the lines of:
8 > >>
9 > >> "A general use scratch pad area where files written are not expected to
10 > >> survive successive invocations of the program that wrote them". That's
11 > >> interesting as it means the sysadmin can delete everything in /tmp at
12 > >> any time for any reason,
13 > >
14 > > bofh can delete them for no reason at all while you're still using them :)
15 >
16 > Exactly :-)
17 >
18 > And as long as the app doesn't close the file descriptor, everything
19 > will continue to work just fine. I used to do this for fun about once a
20 > week or so on a many multiuser host, then tell users to tell upstream to
21 > fix the stupid bugs in any apps that broke. I've calmed down since then,
22 > must have something to do with the onset of senility...
23
24 I used to do this myself every so often, in a fit of hard drive neatness OCD.
25
26 Then I discovered that ssh-agent decided that a good default place to put its domain socket was /tmp/ssh-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and deleting it breaks ssh key forwarding, among other things :\
27
28 --Mike